~ ~ ~
After watching my first of many Cinderella nights...
~ ~ ~

image courtesy of Broadway Asia Entertainment
Music and Lyrics by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II
Directed by Bobby Garcia
RUN: July 29 - August 24, 2008
WHERE: Cultural Center of the Philippines
As a little girl, I grew up with princess stories like Cinderella. I have always remembered Cinderella as the rags to riches story of a girl who lived with her wicked stepmom and step sisters; with a fairy godmother who transformed her into a beautiful princess to be able to attend a ball (but with a curfew of midnight); and with a handsome young prince who found her by fitting Cinderella's glass shoe to every lady in their kingdom.
Last Tuesday was a magical night. It was the long-awaited opening night of Cinderella and I was fortunate to have seen it.
The Cultural Center of the Philippines in Manila, where Rogers & Hammersteins' Cinderella Asian tour premiers, was full of very excited people. At the lobby, different souvenir items were sold: programs, cast recording soundtrack, shirts, keychains and jewelries. People were busy getting their souvenirs before the curtain lifted to start the show. I met fellow AFLSers whom I haven't seen for a looong time, and not-so-new AFLSers whom I met for the first time. Good to see you guys again. A Lea Salonga event like this wouldn't be complete without the AFLSers. :D
The 2-3hr show was a stress reliever for me. The sets were simple, and I love their costumes: very colorful, which made the ambiance very light and cheerful. The music is so beautiful and catchy: "The Prince is Giving a Ball". And my favorites so far are "Impossible/It's Possible" (I'm so amused at those singing rats) and "Ten Minutes Ago". I love the scene where the fairy godmother transformed the pumpkin into a carriage, the mice into horses, the rats into footmen and coachmen, and Cinderella into a princess. Magic! I was also amused at how the production made it look like Lea could dress up really, really fast. Like a blink of an eye.
The story of Cinderella is not new to all of us. We have heard and watched the story as early as we were 3 yrs old. What I like about this production's rendition of Cinderella is that there isn't any major conflict that will make you stressful. Not even with the stepmother and stepsisters. They're actually very funny, not irritating. Peter Saide as Prince Christopher Rupert is really suited to be called Prince Charming. He charmed the audience with his rendition of "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful" and his duet with Lea of "Ten Minutes Ago".
And of course, the cherry on top of the icing that night was meeting Cinderella herself. With other AFLSers, we met Lea backstage after the show. Will post pictures soon! :D
Don't miss your Cinderella moment. Get your tickets now. The show runs from July 29 to Aug 24.
Cinderella's Official Website: http://www.cinderellaonstage.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment